Sunday, December 5, 2010

50's Hawaiian Dress

Yesterday my friend had her joint 21st birthday party with one of her best friends. It was meant to be a hawaiian beach party but the weather did not agree so we had to transfer the party back to her friends house. The hawaiian theme still ran strong and I made myself this dress to wear.

50's Hawaiian Dress

Pattern: Simplicity 3078
Material: Printed Cotton from Spotlight
Time Taken: 2 weeks
Actual Sewing Time: approximately 5 hours.

Hawaiian Fabric

This dress was quite easy to make even when I lost the instructions and sewed half the dress then found the instructions and realised I had done it wrong. I kept going though. I had a deadline to meet and was not about to unpick all the sewing. In the end it worked out perfectly. After the 21st we went to a Corey's mates 30th and I got so many compliments on my dress. Even one of the bouncers walked past me and goes "great outfit!" It's safe to say I was suitable impressed with myself :)

10 comments:

Jessica said...

woo hoooo! Hawaii represeeeeeent!
Very cute, nice work!

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

My gosh girl, that dress is AMAZING! I am totally jealous of your sewing skills.

Camelia Crinoline said...

You should be impressed with yourself. It's such a pretty dress. It looks great on you. I love the fabric. The Spotlights in Oz must be way better than the NZ ones because you always seem to get nice fabric.

Rachel said...

That is fantastic! You look great. Love the fabric - you should be impressed with yourself :-)

TheCookieJarvis said...

Oh this is so lovely, that fabric is fantastic!!

Mazz said...

This dress is so cute! I'm totally expecting Elvis to burst into the frame, throw you on the handlebars of his bike and ride off on the Hawaiian streets while he sings you island tunes. Don't judge me, it's what I see.

Pretty Little Pictures said...

Whoa, look at that dress!! It's stunning! Sirry for being a bad commenter, hopefully things are back to normal now :)

sophie said...

Fantastic Kat, you look fabulous!

The Sequin Cat said...

What a wonderful dress! Seamstress extraordinaire.

Christina said...

The dress is amazing and you look super glamorous in it I must say. You must have been the belle of the Hawaiian ball!

:)